A list of my favourite fashion and film happenings this year...
1. A marriage made in heaven.....Chanel Couture for the English National Ballet
2.Vionnet Exhibition at the Musee des Arts Decoratives, Paris
3. Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy...Couture Fall 2009
4. Book: Isabel Toledo: Fashion from the Inside Out
5. The restored version of The Red Shoes
6. Giambattista Valli Pre Fall 2009... very few times does a pre-season outstage Ready to Wear or Couture collections
7. Alexander McQueen SS2010 show in October ( probably not very objective as I was there..) But I think he deserves to be on this list first and foremost for pushing the bounderies in an industry where the unconventional borderlines the absurd (and yes his accessories are not for everyone but he is a master tailor and an incredibly gifted designer)..and secondly for trying to democratise the fashion world by broadcasting his show live via the internet ( even though Lady Gaga stole his thunder...)
8. Tim Ryan. Simply because he is one of the most talented current Irish designers.
9. The original English version of The Women (I had only seen it dubbed in Spanish) with Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Paulette Goddard and Joan Fontaine
A few days ago I came across an online magazine which blew me away. It doesn't happen often as magazines are usually constrained by commercial obligations or trying to be edgy with shock factor.
I'm not interested in either so it leaves me usually in limbo when it comes to fashion and photography coverage.
When I started researching, what I thought was, my 'discovery' I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of it before...
Featured in The New York Times and many other publications, this magazine founded in 2007 by an incredibly young and gifted photographer Erik Madigan Heck is available quarterly online and a very limited edition goes to print (10 to 50 copies).
Many of my silent readers are fairly new to this blogging Universe..(including me)...and may not have experienced it..so if you have a few minutes to spare ... indulge yourself in this wonderful magazine...Nomenus Quarterly
There are treasures in the archive...including beautiful illustrations of Giambatista Valli's work by Catherine Stuart .. ( this is probably my favourite)
For a full interview with Erik Madigan Heck go to Coolhunting